At its open public meeting on November 30, 2010, staff at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) made a presentation on the status of implementation of the "21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010" (P.L. 111-260). See FCC 10-slide Powerpoint here or one page Word versions of the schedule for implementation attached below. Significantly, several rulemakings are underway as follows:
- NPRM and Public Notice on hearing aid compatibility
- Public Notices seeking nominations for the Video Programming and Emergency Access Advisory committees or VPEAAC and the Emergency Access Advisory Committee or EAAC
- Public Notice on Advanced Communications
- Public Notice on national deaf-blind equipment distribution program.
This FCC presentation included a detailed schedule of when Reports & Orders (i.e., new rules/regulations) will be issued. Note that a "Report & Order (R&O)" is a Commission term. That is, after considering comments and reply comments to Notices of Inquiries or Notices of Proposed Rulemakings, the FCC may issue a Report & Order amending the rules or deciding not to do so. Summaries of R&Os are published in the Federal Register. Issuance of an R&O triggers a 30-day period for Petitions for Reconsideration.
FCC R&Os to implement our new law will be released, as follows:
- Deaf-Blind Equipment program, due 2nd quarter, 2011.
- Video Description Reinstatement, due 4th quarter 2011
- Hearing Aid Compatibility of Advanced Communications, due 4th quarter 2011.
- Relay Service Contributions, due 4th Quarter 2011
- Advanced Communications Services & Equipment, due 4th quarter 2011.
- Internet Captioning of TV, due 1st quarter of 2012.
- Closed Captioning of video devices, due 1st quarter of 2012
- Accessible Internet Browsers, due 3rd quarter 2013
- Compliance Report to U.S. Congress, due 4th quarter of 2012.
- Video description on video devices, due 4th quarter 2013
- Accessible User Interfaces, due 4th quarter 2013
- Accessible On-Screen Menus, due 4th quarter 2013
- Emergency Access to TV Programming, 2nd quarter of 2013.
- Video description on video devices, 4th quarter of 2013
- Accessible User Interfaces, 4th quarter of 2013.
Several other FCC reports from the Advisory Committees are due prior to many of the rulemakings, as follows:
- VPEAAC Report on Internet Captioning, due 3rd quarter 2011
- VPEAAC Report on Closed Captioning of Video Devices, due 3rd quarter 2011
- Reliable Access to Next Generation 9-1-1 Centers, due 4th quarter 2011
- Emergency Access to TV programming, due 2nd quarter 2012
- Video description on video devices, due 2nd quarter 2012
- Accessible user interfaces, due 2nd quarter 2012
- Accessible onscreen menus, due 2nd quarter 2012.
Note that quarters are as follows:
- 1st quarter, Jan 1 - Mar 31
- 2nd quarter, Apr 1 - Jun 30
- 3rd quarter, July 1 - Sept 30
- 4th quarter, Oct 1 - Dec 31
Looks like COAT affiliates have lots of work ahead!