As required by our new law, the 21st Century Communications & Video Accessibility Act ("21st CVAA"), the Video Programming Accessibility Advisory Committee (VPAAC) will meet again. Scheduled for Thursday May 5, 2011, the committee will continue to focus on the many new requirements for accessibility of TV, including Internet display. Eleven COAT affiliate representatives are on this committee which is charged with developing recommendations:
- on closed captioning of Internet programming previously captioned on television;
- the compatibility between video programming delivered using Internet protocol and devices capable of receiving and displaying to facilitate access to captioning, video description and emergency information;
- the provision of video description and accessible emergency information on television programming;
- accessible user interfaces on video programming devices; and
- accessible programming guides and menus.
The VPAAC has divided itself into working groups focusing on these topics.
The first meeting of this committee was held on January 13, 2011. As before, the meeting will be held at FCC HQ, at 445 12th Street, SW, Washington, DC 20554, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The meeting will open to the public and will be webcast live with captioning.
List of VPAAC Members is attached below.